Friends of the Rivers and City Utilities are starting the second year of its CLEAN DRAINS FORT WAYNE: Be River SmART initiative.
Clean Drains Fort Wayne is an education and community outreach/engagement project that uses art to convey the message … only rain in the drain.
Through message-oriented storm drain art murals, this program raises awareness that any trash, grass clippings, dop poop and chemicals that find their way into the city’s storm drains, go directly (and untreated) into Fort Wayne’s three rivers.
In 2022, year two of the Clean Drain’s initiative, Friends of the Rivers and City Utilities is again inviting local artists to pain storm drains in order to continue to increase community awareness and involvement as storm-drain protectors.
The deadline for submissions by interested artists has closed for 2022 Clean Drains Mural Applications. Please stay turned for more exciting announcements.
- Artist Application Opens
- March 1, 2022
- Artist Application Deadline
- May 1, 2022
- Accepted Artists Notified
- All artists must attend a workshop to learn more about the initiative and pick up a kit with necessary supplies & materials. Date TBD
- June 2022
- Painting of Artist Storm Drain Murals
- The date depends on which city quadrant storm drain is located.
- July 16-24, 2022
- August 13-21, 2022
- September 2022
- Artist Recognition & Celebration
- Clean Drains Fort Wayne Fest on September 25, 2022
Selected artists to paint storm drains will be provided with all necessary supplies & materials including:
- Drain site/location assignment (City Utilities will clean and prepare the drain site for painting)
- Paint (Primary colors: red, blue, yellow, white and black) and clear top-coat
- Painting supplies and materials including safety brushes, street cones, etc.
- A monetary gift to thank artists for participation and involvement
- ONLY RAIN IN THE DRAIN
- BE THE SOLUTION, END WATER POLLUTION
- ANYTHING BUT H2O IS A NO NO
- KEEP CLEAN FOR DOWNSTREAM
All artists from hobbyists and enthusiasts to professionals are welcomed to apply. Artists should be 18 years or older. If younger than 18-years-of-age, a signed permission slip from a parent/guardian must be provided.