3rd / 4th Grade Social Studies Field Trips
We are excited to welcome you aboard Sweet Breeze, a 1840’s replica canal boat taking boat tours of the St. Marys, St. Joe and Maumee Rivers in downtown Fort Wayne. Our boat was named for Native American Miami Chief Little Turtle’s daughter, Sweet Breeze.
- Call Fort Wayne Outfitters at 260-420-3962 to learn about booking, cost and payment terms for 3rd & 4th grade boat tours.
- Your boat tour will depart from the Headwaters West dock located at the north end of Calhoun Street. Please call if needing parking information.
- Our boat holds forty passengers plus our crew of three. We ask that our boat be filled to the greatest capacity.
- Our on-board docent will lead the boat tour with stories and facts crafted for the greatest educational value and student enjoyment. Visual aids will be used along with on-screen images.
- The classroom teacher will be given additional teaching resources upon disembarking the boat.
- See attached activities that you may accomplish before arriving for your tour; Vocabulary words, added resources, etc.
- Based on 3rd and 4th grade teacher focus groups, our tours will concentrate on three State Standard topics. Native Americans 2. Early settlers 3. Wabash and Erie Canal
- Our boat tour along with the shared information and teaching tools will concentrate on the current Indiana Academic Standards – Social Studies by the Indiana Department of Education for third and fourth grades. We will concentrate on Standard 1: History with minor topics involving Standard 3: Geography and Standard 4: Economics. Greater state standard details will be given with your boat tour packet.
View or download the zip folder for images.